Limoncello di Sorrenti
Serves 6 - 8
8 Large, Organic Lemons
750 ml (standard bottle size) Inexpensive Vodka
3 Cups Distilled/Filtered Tap Water
3-4 Cups Sugar
1. Scrub and wash the lemons, then dry them. Using a paring knife or vegetable peeler, remove the peels of the lemons, taking care to avoid the white pith. If you do slice off some of the bitter pith, use the paring knife to trim it off the peels.
2. Place the peels into a large, clean, wide-mouthed jar. Pour the Vodka over the peels and seal with the lid. Put the jar in a cool, dry place for a week. Once a day, shake the contents.
3. At the end of the week, bring the water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add the sugar and stir until it is completely dissolved. Remove from heat and let the sugar mixture cool to room temperature.
4. Using a strainer, remove the lemon peels from the alcohol and discard them. Mix the flavored alcohol with the sugar-water mixture. (Usually, the color of the alcohol changes from clear yellow to cloudy yellow when combined with the sugar-water mixture.)
5. Pour the mixture into clean bottles with screw caps. Alternatively, use bottles with attached stoppers, such as those for Lorina brand lemonade, available at Cost Plus World Market in Riverpark (Fresno, CA). (Drink the lemonade, strip off the label and save the bottle.)
6. Store "Limoncello" in the freezer.
a recipe by Jo Ann Sorrenti